Varieties of hosting services
A hosting solution includes hoarding and/or sharing specific web content on a hosting server run by a web hosting company. There are different groups of hosting services used for various purposes, so let's take a peek at these. Thus, you can determine what you want, based on whether you wish to set up a web portal, mail accounts, or to share files with pals and associates.
- File hosting: a service provided by various hosts, which allows you to share big files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only purpose is to share files, since it does not support web site uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either receive an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to view a record of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to see .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file hosting accounts are frequently supported by exhibiting advertisements beside the download links, while a timer makes you await a given interval of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you own a paid file storage plan, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no restriction when it comes to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the help of the cPanel hosting merchants, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is an entirely distorted interpretation of the real connotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would assign the load between autonomous hosts of hosting servers in a cluster, which are committed to attending different web hosting services (mail, disk storage, statistics, DNS, databases, CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is simply a type of a data storage hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; certain distributors offer a hosting service for pictures solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you wish to share an enormous amount of images with pals or partners since the solution is commonly free of cost. You will receive a randomly generated link for each and every image or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage service, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for web sites.
- E-mail hosting: a service dedicated to taking care of your email address accounts. Some companies offer web page hosting solutions for sites, but do not offer an email hosting service. If you would like to keep a mail address with your domain name but do not want to possess a site, then the email hosting service is what you need. You can create mail address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this solution permits you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a specific video file, or you can embed the video in your web site that is hosted somewhere else. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video brings about a specific amount of central processing unit load, so with several video files and several hundred site visitors, you may have a problem with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video will enable you to manage as many video clips as you want to without worrying about system supplies.
- Web hosting: this is the solution that you need if you wish to run a web site. To a certain degree, it contains all of the aforesaid hosting variants since, along with your web sites, you can also host images and files, you can set up databases and e-mail address accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Yellowknife Hosting, for instance, you can take a peek at web hosting and dedicated hosting packages that enable you to have all of the abovementioned solutions in one place. There may be limits based on the form of hosting service that you've picked - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your webspace hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the routine email/file/video/image hosting packages that are planned for particular web content only.